- Filed Under
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus has approved the results of a selective early retirement board, a measure designed to trim the officer ranks, according to a naval message released Monday.
The board convened in July with a quota of 126 unrestricted line commanders and captains for early retirement. The http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/ALNAVS/ALN2011/ALN11061.txt">message from Mabus does not contain the number of officers chosen or their names.
Sharon Anderson, a spokeswoman for the chief of naval personnel, said Wednesday that 124 officers had been selected, but there would be no public release of the board results. A breakdown of results by paygrade was not immediately available.
Anderson had previously said that 126 officers would be selected.
Those selected will be notified by a letter no later than Oct. 3. Once they have been told, the chief of naval personnel will send out a NAVADMIN saying the board results will be posted on the Bureau of Naval Personnel website.
Affected officers must retire by April 1.