Cmdr. David Faught has been relieved of his job as XO of the destroyer Chung-Hoon, Navy offiicals confirm. (Navy)
- Filed Under
The executive officer and prospective commander of the Hawaii-based destroyer Chung-Hoon was fired Wednesday night, Navy officials have confirmed.
Cmdr. David Faught, who has served the ship's number-two officer since September 2011, has been relieved, said Lt. Richard Chernitzer, a Naval Surface Force-Pacific spokesman in Coronado, Calif.
Faught's removal as XO was not due to any misconduct or violations of the law, Chernitzer said.
"However, there was a loss of confidence in his ability to perform as XO," Chernitzer said. "It will be put in his record ... and will be considered along with everything else."
Under the Navy's fleet-up program, Faught would have assumed command next year of the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer. He was reassigned temporarily to staff duties with Destroyer Squadron 31 at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, Chernitzer said. Replacing Faught is Lt. Peter Lesaca, who was assigned as the acting executive officer until a permanent XO is named.
The Chung-Hoon is deployed and has been participating in Valiant Shield, a 7th Fleet joint training exercise off Guam held Sept. 11-19.
Faught, a native of Guam, was commissioned from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., according to his official biography. He previously commanded patrol crafts Hurricane and Typhoon and Patrol Coastal Craft Crew Foxtrot.