You will be redirected to the page you want to view in  seconds.

DEERS updates halted at base ID offices

May. 10, 2013 - 02:52PM   |  
  • Filed Under

Gone are the days of rolling into the base ID office to have personnel information updated or corrected in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System.

Customer services representatives in base ID offices will no longer be allowed to manually update or correct an airman’s information in DEERS because the system has been locked to such actions, Air Force personnel officials announced May 9. Instead, such updates and corrections will be made in personnel offices.

“The change will help ensure and maintain data integrity,” Air Force personnel spokesman Mike Dickerson said in an email. “It’s part of an ongoing effort by DoD and the service branches to provide accurate and timely data to the DEERS database.”

Before the change, customer services representatives could correct or update information about a member’s citizenship status, date of birth, gender, Social Security information and service dates using the Real-time Automated Personnel Identification System.

DEERS is used to enroll airmen and their eligible family members for an identification card and benefits such as medical and dental care, federal installation access and access to installation facilities such as the base commissary or exchange.

Airmen are required to update DEERS for major life events, such as marriage, divorce, birth or death of a dependent, promotion, re-enlistment, extension, retirement, separation or unit transfer to another branch of service or agency.

This change will not affect the ability to make updates for dependent family members.

“Members’ DEERS records are established and updated by an authoritative data feed directly from a personnel source like AFPC or the Air Reserve Personnel Center,” said Ed Yoder, the personnel center’s DEERS/RAPIDS operations branch assistant chief, in a release. “If information about a member that feeds into DEERS is wrong, the ID card issuing office can’t fix that. Only the office of primary responsibility for that information can correct it.”

That means if an airman’s re-enlistment date is wrong, or citizenship status changes, the airman needs to contact the offices responsible for that information to get it changed in DEERS, Yoder said.

Yoder said airmen who don’t know the appropriate office for specific information can find it on the myPers website.

“Once your record is updated, you can check the corrections or updates online at the eMilConnect website,” Yoder said. “Depending on the nature of the correction, [you] may need to get a new ID card, so keep an eye on your records.”

For more information on DEERS updates, visit the myPers website at and enter “21534” or “DEERS Record Correction” in the search window.■

Answers by RallyPoint

Join trending discussions in the military's #1 professional community. See what members like yourself have to say from across the DoD.

More In News

Start your day with a roundup of top defense news.

VA Home Loan

Search By:

Product Options:
Zip Code:

News for your in-box

Sign up now for free Military Times E-Reports. Choose from Money and Education. Subscribers: log in for premium e-newsletters.

This Week's Navy Times

This Week's Navy Times

Go mustang
LDO and warrant careers offer more authority, a pay hike and big retirement payout

Subscribe for Print or Digital delivery today!

MilitaryTimes Green Trusted Classifieds Looking to buy, sell and connect on Military Times?
Browse expanded listings across hundreds of military installations.
Faces of valorHonoring those who fought and died in Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
hall of valorThe Hall of Valor is a searchable database of valor award citations collected by Doug Sterner, a Vietnam veteran and Military Times contributing editor, and by Military Times staff.

All you need to know about your military benefits.

Benefits handbook

Guard & Reserve All you need to know about the Guard & Reserve.

guard and reserve handbook