An Oct. 15 trial date has been set for a senior airman accused of starving to death his 15-month-old son at his home on Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C., earlier this year and dumping his body on a roadside.
Senior Airman Matthew Theurer is charged with murder, involuntary manslaughter, negligent homicide, child endangerment, obstruction of justice and making a false official statement in the death of his child, also named Matthew.
Police on March 12 found the boy’s body wrapped in plastic garbage bags about 100 miles from base, according to an autopsy report by the North Carolina Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. Matthew had died about four weeks earlier from severe malnutrition, the report said.
The child was left alone for about 12 hours a day during the last months of his life, it said, and had spent the night alone at least twice. Theurer had attended orientation for base daycare but never took the child, according to the report.
Air Force prosecutors presented evidence in the case against Theurer during a July 8 preliminary hearing, known in the military as an Article 32 hearing. Theurer allegedly dumped Matthew’s body on the way to Myrtle Beach, S.C. to visit a friend.
Theurer’s estranged wife testified she had left their son with Theurer while she got back on her feet. She was living in a different state when Matthew died.
The court-martial is scheduled to begin Oct. 15 at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va., according to a news release from Seymour Johnson.
Join trending discussions in the military's #1 professional community. See what members like yourself have to say from across the DoD.