Air Force Undersecretary Eric Fanning said March 11 the the investigations into the cheating scandals at Malmstrom Air Force Base are wrapping up. (Scott M. Ash/Air Force)
- Filed Under
The Air Force will announce its response to allegations of cheating among nuclear missile officers in two weeks, as multiple investigations wrap up and the top nuclear commander finalizes his recommendations.
Air Force Global Strike Command commander Gen. Stephen Wilson commissioned three separate studies following the January announcement that more than 90 intercontinental ballistic missile launch officers were caught up in a cheating investigation at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont. Air Force Undersecretary Eric Fanning said Tuesday those investigations are wrapping up and Wilson is finishing his recommendations to Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James.
Fanning could not say what responsive steps were likely, including the possibility of punitive measures against base and wing leaders.
"We will be able to answer all questions about what we're going to do about the cheating at Malmstrom in about two weeks," Fanning said.
Wilson will report to James in Washington at that time, and then Air Force leaders will provide their reports to Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel.
In January, the Air Force announced that 92 officers had allegedly cheated or known about cheating on a monthly proficiency exam last summer. Those officers were temporarily taken off launch duty, as the entire launch force was retrained. About 95 percent of the force passed follow-up testing.
Fanning said the investigation so far has focused only on airmen at Malmstrom, and not on those at the other missile bases: F.E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo., and Minot Air Force Base, N.D.; and training base Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.