Military personnel and workers walk along the perimeter of the Washington Navy Yard on Sept. 19, 2013. The Washington Navy Yard began returning to nearly normal operations three days after it was the scene of a mass shooting in which a gunman killed 12 people. (Charles Dharapak/AP)
- Filed Under
ARLINGTON, VA. — An admiral says workers will start returning in February to the Washington Navy Yard building were 12 were fatally shot last year.
Vice Adm. William Hilarides (hill-AHR’-ih-dees) told defense contractors at a breakfast meeting Thursday in Arlington, Virginia, that he expects all 2,700 to be back in Building 197 by the end of April. The building will be renamed for Joshua Humphreys, designer of the first Navy frigates.
Hilarides runs Naval Sea Systems Command, the Navy’s shipbuilding agency. Headquarters workers relocated to other buildings in the Washington area after the Sept. 16 shootings. Gunman Aaron Alexis, a civilian contractor, was killed by police in a shootout.
The admiral says he’s proud of the workers’ resilience. But he says some suffer from post-traumatic stress from the violence they witnessed.
Join trending discussions in the military's #1 professional community. See what members like yourself have to say from across the DoD.