The head of Naval Station Guantanamo Bay was unceremoniously removed from his base command post for unspecified "misconduct" Wednesday amid a Naval Criminal Investigative Service Investigation.
"Due to an ongoing NCIS investigation, it is not appropriate for the Navy to provide additional details concerning the relief," the release said.
Mike Andrews, spokesman for Navy Region Southwest, said he could not comment on the reasons for the Nettleton's dismissal while the NCIS investigation continues. He said Jackson removed him after preliminary findings. the removal came after preliminary findings that led Jackson to make relief.
Nettleton is a prior-enlisted Marine infantryman who was commissioned as a helicopter pilot in 1989. He has deployed aboard the carriers Theodore Roosevelt and Saratoga, and is a veteran of Operation Desert Storm. He took command of the controversial naval station in June 2012. Nettleton did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment Wednesday.
Nettleton is the first Navy commanding officer to be fired in 2015; last year, roughly two dozen were fired for reasons ranging from striking a channel buoy to remaining holed up for long stretches of an overseas deployment.