The Navy has disciplined and could eventually discharge the sailor from the guided-missile cruiser Shiloh who was initially thought to have fallen overboard but found a week later hiding in an engine room on board, Navy officials said.
Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) Peter Mims, 23, was charged with violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice including abandoning watch under Article 86 and dereliction in the performance of duties under Article 92, a Navy spokesman said.
Mims faced an admiral's mast on July 13 that has resolved the charges, but Navy officials have declined to say what the results of the mast were. The mast was held by Rear Adm. Charles Williams, the commander of Carrier Strike Group 5 in the Navy's 7th Fleet. It was conducted via a video link to San Diego, where Mims is currently assigned to Naval Surface Force, Pacific, pending the adjudication of the case, officials say.
"We are not disclosing any of the punitive actions taken against him," Lt. Paul Newell, spokesman for Seventh Fleet told Navy Times. "However, I can say that Mims is facing possible further administrative action."
That action, Navy officials say, could result in Mims being discharged from the Navy.
"Mims admitted that his weeklong disappearance had been intentional and that he took steps to try to avoid being found by the other Shiloh sailors who were actively trying to locate him," Newell told Navy Times in an interview Tuesday. Newell said he had no more information on Mim's testimony.
"The decision to use admiral’s mast was due to the serious impact this had on the [Ronald Reagan strike group] and also our Japanese allies," Newell said, citing the massive search that started June 8 and continued until June 11, when Mims was considered lost.
Mark D. Faram is a former reporter for Navy Times. He was a senior writer covering personnel, cultural and historical issues. A nine-year active duty Navy veteran, Faram served from 1978 to 1987 as a Navy Diver and photographer.