Your Navy

Sailor indicted after Norfolk bomb threats

A Norfolk-area sailor has been indicted on six counts of making bomb threats in August, targeting Norfolk Naval Station and Joint Expeditionary Base, Little Creek.

Boatswain’s Mate 2nd Class (SW) Allante Martanaze Arrington, 24, was arrested Sept. 22 and appeared in U.S. District Court in Norfolk before being released on his own recognizance. He will be arraigned on Wednesday.

The case is being handled by civilian authorities, but the Navy Criminal Investigative Service is “supporting the local law enforcement agency conducting the investigation with whatever resources we can offer,” NCIS spokesman Ed Buice told Navy Times.

Arrington, originally from Ohio, joined the Navy in May 2014 and has been assigned to the Little Creek-based dock landing ship Oak Hill for just over three years.

Five of the charges stem from Arrington allegedly using a cell phone to call the Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Regional Dispatch Center emergency line at about 6 a.m., when he allegedly said that “three bombs will go off on base at 9:30,” according to the indictment.

Forty-five minutes later, Arrington allegedly called the dispatch center again, saying “I’m going to blow that bitch up at 9:30.”

Three additional threats were outlined in three more charges. Twice, Arrington allegedly called the base’s Rockwell Gym to relay threats against the dock landing ships Gunston Hall and the Oak Hill, telling officials that there was a bomb on Pier 16 where the two ships were tied up.

Arrington then allegedly called the stateroom of the Whidbey Island’s commanding officer to say there was a bomb on board the ship.

US Navy ships line the pier at Naval Station Norfolk in Norfolk,w here a bomb threat led to a lockdown at the piers Wednesday morning. (JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images)
Naval Station Norfolk all clear after bomb threat

A bomb threat prompted Navy officials to lock down the piers and adjacent buildings on Naval Station, Norfolk Wednesday morning, a security alert that comes just two days after reports of a mysterious diver led to a similar lock down.

The final charge came when, two-weeks after the initial round of threats, Arrington allegedly called Rockwell Gym and said there was a bomb in the parking lot.

Navy officials said at the time each incident was investigated that none of the threats were credible, a fact relayed in each count of the indictment, which states that Arrington “maliciously conveyed false information, knowing the same to be false.”

If convicted, Arrington faces a maximum of 10 years in prison for each charge.

Recommended for you
Around The Web