Your Navy

Remains of NYC sailor killed at Pearl Harbor identified

NEW YORK — The remains of an American sailor from New York City who was killed in the Pearl Harbor attack nearly 77 years ago have been identified.

The Pentagon announced Wednesday that Seaman 1st Class Walter C. Foley’s remains were accounted for earlier this year.

In this Dec. 5, 2012, file photo, a gravestone identifying the resting place of seven unknowns from the USS Oklahoma is shown at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu. (Audrey McAvoy/AP)
Military IDs 100 killed on USS Oklahoma in Pearl Harbor

The military has identified 100 sailors and Marines killed when the USS Oklahoma capsized during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor 76 years ago, officials said Friday.

The Pentagon says the 18-year-old from Brooklyn was serving aboard the battleship Oklahoma when Japanese planes attacked Hawaii on Dec. 7, 1941. The ship capsized after being hit by torpedoes, killing 429 crewmen, including Foley.

The Navy spent the next three years recovering the remains of the deceased crew. Only 35 were later identified. The rest were reinterred in a national cemetery in Honolulu.

In 2015, the Pentagon began disinterring Oklahoma unknowns for identification.

The Pentagon says Foley’s remains were identified using DNA samples provided by his family.

Recommended for you
Around The Web
Comments