WASHINGTON — A U.S. Naval Academy midshipman has been sentenced to 25 years after a military panel found him guilty of sexual assault and other charges.
The Capital Gazette reported Friday that Nixon Keago also was dismissed from the service and sentenced to forfeit all pay and allowances.
The 25-year-old also was found guilty of attempted sexual assault, obstruction of justice and burglary during a court-martial at the Washington Navy Yard. The charges stem from four separate incidents involving three women who were Naval Academy midshipmen at the time of the assaults.
The defendant starred on the Marine Corps soccer team, too.
The court-martial was delayed after Keago showed symptoms of COVID-19. He has since tested negative for the disease caused by the coronavirus.
Reneau Kennedy, a psychologist and government witness who studies forensic recidivism, testified last month that Keago has a low rehabilitation potential.
In closing arguments, Lt. Cmdr. Chris Cox said criminal charges did not prevent him from attempting to sexually assault women. He noted the last incident, which happened after Keago knew he was charged with sexual assault.
“Confinement is the only way to stop it,” Cox said.
Defense attorney Lt. Cmdr. Andrea Kissner urged the members to focus on Keago as a father, a son, a brother and a midshipman.
“Midshipman Keago is a person,” Kissner said. “And as a person, Midshipman Keago deserves a fair sentence.”
The sentence represented nearly a middle ground between the defense and government. It was 20 years more than the defense asked for and 15 years less than the government’s request.